Of course you’ve played basketball before—that’s why you’re searching for one. So, you know how important it is to have a good quality ball, which is why I lay my trust in Wilson. It not only gives you quality, but also an affordable experience.
I’ve been using the same ball for over two years now and it’s still in great shape. The grip on the ball is excellent, which is important for me because I have sweaty palms.
Wilson evolution basketball is designed for indoor use, with a microfiber composite cover that gives you an improved grip and feel compared to other indoor balls.
Let’s keep going further into the features and specifications, because I’ve got so much more to tell you!
At A Glance
The Wilson Evolution is the official game ball of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) and it’s easy to see why: If these balls are good enough for college athletes, they’re good enough for you. Following details include:
Wilson promises a ball that’s perfect for your height, not too heavy to handle, and not too light so it’ll fly away when you dribble. It’s dimensions are:
- Weight: 1.55 lb
- Item Diameter: 27.5 inches
- Length x Width x Height: 8.8 x 8.2 x 6.6 inches
Wilson gives you three options for sizes totally dependent on your feasibility.
- Youth: Size 5-27.5 inches
- Intermediate: Size 6-28.5 inches
- Official: Size 7-29.5 inches
Wilson Evolution Indoor Basketball Review
Now, let’s discuss some of its finer points. The ball already feels broken out of the box. Some players like to wait a few games for the leather to soften even more, so how long you’ll want to use it before passing it on to someone else is up to you, but it definitely won’t need any unusual amount of time.
1. Signature Evo Feel
The patented Cushion Core Technology is designed for an exceptional soft feel and incredible grip that keeps you in control of your game. You could say the ball’s soft touch feels smooth like butter.
2. Microfiber Cover
This basketball is made with premium composite leather, which offers an improved grip and feel that makes it easy to handle even if it gets wet or sweaty. And this makes it the ideal ball for indoor play.
3. Wide Channel Design
The wide channel design is the most notable feature on this ball. Each panel has wider channels than usual, making it one of the best basketballs for shooters who want to improve their form or learn how to shoot correctly.
4. Patented Layup Lacing System
The patented layup lacing system keeps your bouncy ball in shape—and round. The laces let you keep air in, so your basketball retains its perfect bounce and shape for as long as you need it to.
Wilson Evolution will be your longest lasting friend on the court, due to its durable construction and ability to withstand your toughest shots, you’ll be a Steph Curry in no time!
Why Is the Wilson Evolution Basketball Better than Other Wilson Balls?
There are other Wilson basketballs on the market, but the Wilson Evolution is better. The ball has a grippy pebbled surface that won’t slip out of your hand when you’re shooting and dribbling.
The Evolution also has a slightly different feel than other Wilson basketballs because of its trademarked Cushion Core Technology.
The microfiber composite leather material is more resistant to dirt and moisture than traditional composite leather or full grain leather. This means that the ball should stay looking smoother and cleaner for a longer time.
The Wilson Evolution basketball comes in several sizes, from youth to adult.
“The Evolution was designed to provide the best combination of grip, feel and durability,” said Wilson Sporting Goods’ general manager Kevin Murphy.
Why is the Wilson Evolution So Expensive?
The Wilson Evolution is often considered a premium basketball due to a combination of its quality, technology, and branding.
- Quality and Construction: The Wilson Evolution is made with high-quality materials designed for durability and performance. It features a microfiber composite leather cover that offers a superior grip and feel. This makes it easier for players to handle and shoot the ball, which can make a significant difference in a game.
- Technology: The Evolution uses Cushion Core Technology, which combines low-density sponge rubber and ultra-durable butyl rubber. This gives the ball a softer feel and improved bounce consistency, which is a desired trait for many players.
- Branding: Wilson is a well-known and respected brand in the world of sports equipment. Their products are often associated with high quality, and this reputation allows them to charge a premium for their products.
- Usage: The Wilson Evolution is a popular choice for high school games across the United States, further solidifying its reputation and demand.
Remember, the value of a product is often subjective and depends on an individual’s needs and preferences. For a casual player, the Wilson Evolution might be considered expensive, but for someone who plays basketball competitively, its quality and performance could be worth the price.
Pro Tips to Use Wilson Evolution Game Basketball
- Wilson basketball gets slippery when it wets. It happens because of leather used in its manufacturing. Keep a towel with you to clean it if you are playing with extra sweaty fellows.
- Always be attentive while choosing your favorite color in basketball. Avoid picking the black color if you are a night owl, as the dark color will distract your focus. Again, you will find it tough to write anything on the ball to distinguish it from others.
- Remember that each ball’s writing color determines Wilson’s ball only. In other words, the orange/brown aesthetic is the same for every ball.
The Wilson Evolution is one of the best basketballs on the market. It will stand up to excessive use and its ability to keep its shape makes it a great choice for everyone. But before you make a decision, here are some pros and cons to consider:
- Great grip
- Goofy color combinations
- Soft leather
- High durability
- Great bounce
- Not suitable for outdoor play
Wilson Evolution Basketball Alternatives
Here are three alternatives to the Wilson Evolution in cheap, mid-range, and premium price ranges.
2. Wilson Evolution Vs SKLZ Control
Features a recessed design that produces less bounce and more control. Designed to improve your ball handling skills, this basketball can be used indoors or out, costs $49.99.
3. Wilson Evolution Vs Spalding TF-500
It is designed and intended for recreational play. Its Deep Channel Design allows for excellent grip and control. Its polyurethane cover gives it a soft touch for comfortable play on indoor or outdoor courts.
To further check out if Wilson Evolution is worth the hype, check out this review!
The Wilson Evolution Indoor Game Basketball has been a favorite of mine for many years.I would highly recommend this ball to anyone who wants a quality leather indoor basketball. It will be very durable and provide great performance for years to come. It would also make a great gift for any basketball player.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is the Wilson Evolution so good?
The Wilson Evolution basketball has been the best rated basketball in its class for years now. The main reason it is so popular is because of its patented “Cushion Core Technology”. This makes the ball feel much softer and more responsive than other balls. The majority of people agree that this ball does have a softer touch than its competitors.
- Is Wilson Evolution better than Spalding?
When it comes to selecting a basketball, Wilson Evolution has a better feel than Spalding, according to players who have used both brands. While both companies use leather for their basketballs, Wilson Evolution uses microfiber composite leather, which has a more comfortable feel; Spalding basketballs are made of 100 percent leather. Wilson Evolution is less likely to rip or tear than Spalding, and the soft finish still offers plenty of durability.
3)How do you break in a Wilson Evolution ball?
There are two basic methods to break in a Wilson Evolution basketball: by shooting and by dribbling. Both of these methods involve taking the air out of the ball so that it can stretch and become more suitable for game play.